[ale] home networking difficulties

Andrew Grimmke grimmke at directvinternet.com
Fri Aug 16 10:01:38 EDT 2002

Hello Everybody,

I need some help or suggestions for getting my home
network up and running.  Here are some details:

- The network has the following topology: DSL (telocity
gateway [dsl modem]) -> (1)Linux Box -> 5 Port Switch
-> (2)Windows Box (plus others to be added later).

- The OSes are (1) Redhat 7.3 (2) Windows ME (3) Vector
Linux 2.0.

- All nic cards work and seem to be configured properly.

- The DSL provides a static IP address and presently
works fine on box 1

- The internal network is your typical class C
(192.168.1.X).  I am not using DHCP.  I have configured
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 adding the
IP.

- I have checked /etc/sysconfig/network to ensure that
networking and IP forwarding are on.

- I edited /etc/sysctl.conf to make sure it includes
the lines net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1 and
net.ipv4.ip_always_defrag = 1 (this was suggested in
the ldp how-to)

- I restarted the network with /etc/rc.d/init.d/network
restart

- On the windows machine, I went to control panel >
network and selected tcp/ip netwoking interface and
properties.  In this dialog box I added the internal
network card from box 1 (192.168.1.1) as the gateway,
assigned the ip 192.168.1.2, and put in my ISPs domain
and dns server IPs.

- I try to ping from box 2 to 1.  Timeout.

- I try to ping from 1 to 2.  6 packet sent 0 recieved.

- This is interesting.  If I have my old windows
software firewall active when I attempt to ping from 1
to 2, I get a popup "unauthorized ICMP attempt from
192.168.1.1".  So I know the hardware is working.

- My guess is that either: box 2 is not responding to
the ping request (even with the firewall down) or box 1
is not accepting the response (I tested it with
IPchains disabled to no avail).

Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong or
things that I might try will be greatly appreciated.

Andrew Grimmke
Marietta, Georgia

---