[ale] Paranoia (was Re: [ale] OT: pc cameras and linux)

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 15 23:38:49 EDT 2002

John Wells wrote:

> Since the MSACS at KSU is pretty close to fully web-based, I need a web
> cam that can do color video at a reasonable price.  This just gives the
> professors a way to see my expressions of wonder and confusion. I'm also
> trying to turn my employer on to telecommuting, and one of the
> trust-builders I've offered is to tune a web cam on me while at work.
> Paranoia is rampant -- "If I can't see you, you're not working damnit!"
> ;).

Ugh. I just can't understand that attitude, especially for
software-type jobs. If I sat staring at a CRT eight solid
hours a day, I would go completely insane. If I can't understand
why the code isn't working, I don't sit there typing madly at
it in an attempt to emulate the hundred monkeys - I might go for
a walk and think it over, or whatever. Doesn't mean I'm
failing to "add value". IMO one of the major advantages of
telecommuting for employers and employees alike is that
lower stress levels (from not having to deal with rush hour,
not having people looking over your shoulder all the time,
etc) can make a person *more* productive.

Cheers,

-- Joe

> Which mustek camera do you have?  Do you *have* to use a capture card
> with it?  They list a usb cam on their site.
>
> Thanks!
> John
>
> On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 21:18, Geoffrey wrote:
> >

> > John Wells wrote:
> > > Can anyone recommend a good, cheap pc camera that works under linux?
> >
> > You might need to define pc camera.  I've got a couple set up.
> >
> > I've got   a pci captivator capture card, has rca input. I've got a
> > mustek color camera on it, works great.  I got the card for about $20
> > and the camera for about $20.  I've got two of these cameras, the second
> > is connected to the s-video on my wintv card.  Works very well as well.
> >   Works meaning I can capture stills just find and motion is fluid when
> > viewed under X.
> >
> > I've also got a b/w motorola camera that I've used with the above
> > capture cards.  The image is a bit grainy, but it's designed for
> > security type stuff, and has a very nice 60' cable.
> >
> > All three of the above cameras have audio as well, but I've never taken
> > advantage of it or even tried using it.
> >
> > I've also got a Logitech express which is usb.  It works, but the image
> > is limited to two resolutions.  Motion is poor, I don't know what the
> > fps is but it's poor.  Capture works okay, but the images are not that
> > good.  With this driver loaded it hits the cpu for about 80%.
> >
> > The capture cards and cameras noted above have virtually no impact on
> > the cpu.  I have run motion, which is a motion detecting software with
> > my capture card/camera setups and it works very well.  It's quite cpu
> > intensive as well.
> >

> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > John
> > >

> > > ---
> > > This message has been sent through the ALE general discussion list.
> > > sent to listmaster at ale dot org.
> > >

> > --
> > Until later: Geoffrey         esoteric at 3times25.net
> >
> > I didn't have to buy my radio from a specific company to listen
> > to FM, why doesn't that apply to the Internet (anymore...)?
> >

> ---
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

--
 "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
 sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and the

---