[ale] Redhat security updates available on RHN only ?

Jordi S. Bunster j.bunster at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 15 19:02:59 EDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 03:44:56PM -0700, Joe Bayes wrote:

> I don't understand...it sounds like you are expecting redhat to
> download files to your machine. But you haven't paid them any
> money. How is it that you're not expecting them to do something for
> free?
>
> If you pay them for the service of downloading files to you, they will
> do so. If you don't, they will still do so, using spare bandwidth,
> 'cause they're nice guys. Expecting them to buy extra bandwidth to
> service the freeloaders doesn't seem entirely reasonable.

I don't pay a thing to software in the public interest. I still get my
security updates. Nobody pays for that. It is volunteer based. People
donate their pipes.

I know Redhat is not volunteer based. I know Redhat is not Debian. But,
why can't they let volunteers mirror their security updates, and allow
people to run u2date and download from such volunteer driven servers?
(correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I understood so far, I don't
use it myself.)

I wonder if anyone whould pay Redhat for their server access, then.

 -- Jsb

---