[ale] Redhat security updates available on RHN only ?

Joe Bayes jbayes at spoo.mminternet.com
Thu Aug 15 18:44:56 EDT 2002

David Bronson typeth:

>I certainly don't expect redhat to do
>anything for free, but to position itself as a large distribution and
>then use as a primary tool to update its software - a product that is
>difficult if not impossible to choose to use a non-redhat mirror. That
>is somewhat M$ish.

In my configuration file, I have:

  serverURL[comment]=Remote server URL
  serverURL=https://www.rhns.redhat.com/XMLRPC

Have you tried changing this line to a non-redhat machine?

I don't understand...it sounds like you are expecting redhat to
download files to your machine. But you haven't paid them any
money. How is it that you're not expecting them to do something for
free?

If you pay them for the service of downloading files to you, they will
do so. If you don't, they will still do so, using spare bandwidth,
'cause they're nice guys. Expecting them to buy extra bandwidth to
service the freeloaders doesn't seem entirely reasonable.

--joe

Joe Bayes -- jbayes at spoo.mminternet.com

---