[ale] OT:slightly-Solaris system recovery system

Greg runman at telocity.com
Fri Aug 9 16:14:20 EDT 2002

I would suggest using raid.  I mean once you erase data, it is gone forever,
unless 1) you only erased a "reference" to the data and it is still there or
2) you have it somewhere else.  The parity function in raid allows this to
happen.  Of course you could keep an infinite list of what you changed and
the old values/whatnot - but it seems this is just a mild form of
cvs/version control - MS style, - and you pay for it in disk space, btw.

A cheap trick is to set up the Solaris box so deletion just puts stuff into
a temp directory that deletes the oldest stuff on a cron job.

Question ....  once you change the system (he *IS* doing updates/patches,
right ?) you would have to make a new ISO image or do *all* of the patches
to that one old image, yes ??

My .02 Euros worth is go RAID 5.

---