[ale] Browser compatibility? (was: Wachovia web banking seems to be fixed with Mozilla)

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 9 16:20:13 EDT 2002

I think it would be best to check user agent and offer a stripped down version
for users of the 4.7x series. After all, some of those people may be using
that version of Netscape, because they are locked out of using Netscape 6.x
browsers at other sites, like SunTrust. There are many users out there who
are in a bind because they want to use a recent non-MS browser and they may
not understand the reasons. If, as a Web designer, you can avoid making their
plight worse, I think you should do it. Just let them know they are getting
less by using an older version. If it's a business, you are showing that you
put your customers first.

On Friday 09 August 2002 04:06 pm, Fulton Green wrote:
> Here's a burning question: just how far back should we web designers shoot
> for in browser compatibility? The reason I'm asking is that the website I'm
> designing for a client requires some JavaScript for the DHTML and also uses
> CSS pretty heavily. MSIE >= 5.0 and Netscape >= 6.0 seem to like what I've
> done so far, but Netscape 4.7x totally chokes on the DHTML JavaScript and
> almost totally ignores the CSS hints. I'm almost halfway tempted to throw
> an upgrade nastygram to NS 4.7x users, but I'm curious if I should provide
> at least some sort of compatibility for them, especially since Red Hat is
> now only just removing NS 4.7x from their distro (and other distros might
> still install it by default).
>
> Thoughts? TIA.
>
> On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 03:53:50PM -0400, Jim wrote:
> > demanded a fix. When you run a business on the Web, it is just idiotic to
> > lock somebody out. You could even argue that it's a form of
> > discrimination. If a browser is standards-compliant and meets security
> > requirements, there is no need to lock anybody out. Period.
>
> ---
> be sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

---