[ale] Sun,Linux,Java, oh my

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Sun Aug 11 14:25:44 EDT 2002

Ben has some very good points. I'll just add that the performance benefit
gained by integrating the JVM logic closer to the process-scheduling part
of the Linux kernel probably wouldn't be all that worth it. Even if it were,
there would probably also be the issue of integrating Sun's code into a GPL
project. Yeah, I know a good chunk of the logic could probaby be
modularized, but I don't think all of it could be. Just my suspicion.

Cade, I'll be expecting my shiny new penny in the mail. :)

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 01:45:04PM -0400, Cade Thacker wrote:
> So I was just reading a post on slashdot about Sun maybe releasing their
> own brand of Linux, and I got to thinking, would there be anyway to write
> a kernel mod that would directly support Java code. Basically to fuse
> Java(JVM) into the core of Linux to make it REALLY fast, more server side
> apps than client apps.  Or just a way in general to really tie the two
> together and make it fly? Any thoughts? Or maybe even rewrite the Kernel
> so that it nativly supported Java class files, or maybe kinda like an
> applicance type thing.
>
> Just some thoughts...what do you guys/gals think...
>
> PS I will send a shinny new penny to anybody who can tell me(with out
> cheating), what Sun stands for.

---