[ale] OT: Unix Cert at KSU?

Greg runman at telocity.com
Tue Aug 6 18:51:36 EDT 2002

<FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff>Yes, I have acquired my CUA from the KSU program.  The
classes varied in actual worthwhile-ness.  Some of the classes were
great (and very "real world") and some were taught to the lowest level, which I
think was too low.  Perhaps some discipline on prerequisites would overcome
that.  Also I think the "I will take a class (es), instantly, know IT and
get a job paying $95,000 / year since there are so many IT jobs out there."
mentality still exists, unfortunately.  Some students are obviously
not technically inclined and seemed to not to want to "pay their dues" to
learn.  Others were the opposite.  I told many that old PC's could be
had for less than $50 (or even less, i.e. $10) and Linux was free and that they
really really really need to actually USE the stuff to learn it,  but I
don't think many carried through with actually having any contact with it other
than the classes.
<FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff>
don't think many understood the duties and responsibilities of a sysadmin in a
company either.  In many cases an inept sysadmin could really hurt in a
major manner a firm's business.  There is a reason some folks get paid
the big bucks and it often has to do with having a lot of knowledge,
experience, and responsibility for a network/system that has a lot of
value.  Speaking of skills, coding in a language - i.e. C and serious shell
scripting as well as often Perl are skills that I find in Unix
sysadmins that is missing in any form from their MS counterparts.  And yes,
many MCSE's can't even use the MS Scripting Host crapola.
<FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff>
<FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff>Dunno about it being worthwhile.  My last company paid for
3-4 of the classes, so I just antied up the rest.  I hate leaving things
half done.  If you meet someone for a possible job who considers
certifications worthwhile, then yes, it is worth it.  Otherwise you could
learn it on your own, minus the real world experience of the instructors, many
of whom where certifiable gurus in their fields and passed on invaluable
knowledge.
<FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff>
As
usual , ymmv rules.  If you have any other questions or find this is
somewhat on the lean side of an answer, I would be happy to answer them /
expound up my answer.
<FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff>
<FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff>Greg
<BLOCKQUOTE
style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid">
  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Stanaland, Brian
  [mailto:BStanaland at PanAmSat.com]Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 9:13
  AMTo: ale at ale.orgSubject: RE: [ale] OT: Unix Cert at
  KSU?
  I am waiting for a reply from the program director.  I'll
  post any info I get from him to the list.
  ````````````````````````````````````````````
  As part of the new MSACS at Kennesaw, you acquire the Unix
  certification offered by KSU's coned department.
  Anyone completed this certification? Was it worth
  it?  Too simple?  Too hard?
  Since I have to take it for the program, I'm kinda interested
  in whether I'll get anything out of it or if it will
  simply be a "here's how to list processes", etc.
  beginner's course.  Not that I have a choice, but I'd <FONT
  size=2>like to know what to expect...
  Thanks!
  John