[ale] mutt, gnome2 terminal, and Andale Mono font

Cory T. Echols ctechols at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 6 18:45:35 EDT 2002

On 08/06, Fulton Green wrote:
> Try doing a "Copy/Paste" of the Mutt window from gnome-terminal to gedit
> (the "Text Editor" item probably in the Accessories menu). If it has the
> same behavior, then it's either a GNOME 2 infrastructure issue or

Strangely enough, gedit2 doesn't let me set its display to any
monospaced font.  gedit from gnome 1.4 let me select andale mono, but
when I pasted the thread tree chars, they were ignored.

> (more likely) an incomplete version of the font (unless, of course,
> Andale Mono uses the same exact TTFs on both sides of the net cable).

I tracked down the TTF files on both the Windows and Linux boxes.
md5sum reports them as identical.

> If it doesn't have the same behavior, then something may be broken
> with the terminal emulation code.

It's not just in gnome terminal.  rxvt -fn "*andale mono*" loads the
proper font, but has the same problem with mutt's thread displays.
xterm -fn "*andale mono*" works beautifully, but xterm lacks tabbed
console windows.  So for now I'm using another monospaced font
(terminus) which seems pretty readable.

Does anyone happen to have reccomendations for other good monospaced
fonts?  There seems to be very few of them, and my eyes seem very prone
to strain with bad typefaces.

Thanks for the help.

--
Cory T. Echols