[ale] OT: Microsoft moves to comply with DOJ settlement deal]

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Aug 6 14:46:24 EDT 2002

Fulton Green wrote:
> FUD alert ... the PressPass article I read (available at
> http://www.Microsoft.com/presspass/legal/aug02/08-05settlementmilestones.asp )
> indicates that the APIs will be available at "no additional charge". I'm
> assuming that the "original charge" in this case would be the cost of
> purchasing the Visual Studio IDE and NOT the cost of licensing the
> proprietary protocols.

What I see from this link matches what I see on the Microsoft link you
provided.  At issue is this piece:

The availability of approximately 113 proprietary protocols that server
vendors can license and use as a new way of achieving interoperability
with Windows desktops.

Note the wording 'vendors can license,' meaning PAY FOR.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

---