[ale] PAGE_SIZE definition in kernel

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Oct 23 21:18:25 EDT 2001

I'm running into a problem that surpasses my kernel understanding.

Vmware complains during a new modules compilation about an undefined
PAGE_SIZE variable in the memory stuff. All sorts of includes are there.
I go digging and, yes, in pagemap.h there is no "#define PAGE_SIZE
blahblah". There is one defined in a.out.h . So I cheated and copied the
def from a.out.h to pagemap.h. Vmware compiled and runs great. I then
discovered that my current kernel didn't have a working scsi generic
device (so I can't burn my new RH7.2 iso's :(-). So I look and I had
left it out (2.2.12 w/SGI XFS patches) I run make xconfig, make dep,
make bzImage and error out all over with "Unknown page size" errors.

It seems to me that PAGE_SIZE should be defined "on the fly" and
determined by architecture/memory or some other voodoo I don't
understand. Where is it initially defined? It would be an easy (read: "I
can do it") task to include a few other headers to follow the correct
definition trail. But I'm _way_ out of my understanding here.

And I don't want to pester the author of pagemap.* , yet (Linus).

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

 PGP signature