[ale] Bye-bye, Telocity/DirectTV

Mark Hurley debian4tux at telocity.com
Tue Oct 23 19:58:37 EDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 01:29:45PM -0700, jhubbs at telocity.com wrote:
> On September 28, my DSL service went out completely and after two and a half weeks of spending hours and hours on hold with tech support only to basically have to keep starting over and over with Tier-1 know-nothings each time (regardless of how many times I'd talked to Tier-2 people), I decided to bail and give cable a try.
>
> It very much appears as though the DirectTV/Bellsouth relationship is extremely broken.  During this DSL outage, I lost my dialtone and two guys were at my house the very next day to fix it.  Is it fair to surmise that Bellsouth simply makes as little effort as they can get away with to repair DSL service via other ISPs?

When I moved to Atlanta almost a year ago, I joined up with Bellsouth.
I had to wait initially.  Then came my big day, which was canceled
twice because of over-bookings.

During that time a colleague suggested Telocity for it's static IP
(which at the time Bellsouth DSL would not offer, do they now?).

I thought I'd be in for a long haul, but canceled with Bellsouth,
stating obvious reasons, and joined with Telocity.

I was anything short of impressed with their delivery, which fell over
Christmas week.  Obviously, I hooked it up and was very happy.

In fact when I first had my hook up, I called them complaining of slow
speeds and line noise.  Telocity had Bellsouth come out and test my
line in under a week, not sure what they did but it cleared up the line.
In fact Telocity called me back to ensure everything was satisfactory.

Since the switch to DirectTV, I spoke with a Tier-1, who followed thru
as he promised.  It was simply on the fact, of my generosity; I had a
large list of IP's of their infected customers, my firewall had
provided.  And was offering it to their Tier-3 guys.

Neither I nor my colleague has had any serious problems with Telocity.
Sounds like Bellsouth is pulling short on them on the local problems?
Otherwise I actually cannot bear to switch.

Mark Hurley

---