[ale] Oops!!!! rm -rf /etc/*

Michael Golden naugrimk at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 16 23:36:01 EDT 2001

I was going through my drive trying to clear up space
and I noticed that /tmp had 50+MB filled in it through
various directories and I didn't have anything
important open, so I thought I'd just delete what was
in there. Well, I accidentally typed "rm -rf /etc/*"
instead of "rm -rf /tmp/*" I have no idea how to fix
it and I don't dare reboot since everything in
/etc/init.d is gone now too. I upgraded my kernel via
RPM this session, so now none of my modules work to
get access to the CD to try to reinstall some of the
stuff so that I can know it will boot. Things like
inittab, fstab, etc. are gone too. Any advice on how
to fix it? I can't really reinstall. When I tried to
update to Mandrake 8.1 it already told me there wasn't
enough space to install and I have no way to back up
my data now that my samba modules and config are gone.
Help!!

Michael