[ale] home subnets

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Tue Oct 16 23:26:56 EDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 10:07:55PM -0400 Robert Heaven <robertheaven at mediaone.net> wrote:
> Wouldn't it be simpler to just remove the "Client for Microsoft
> Networking" from the network properties on both Winbloze boxes?
> If you still need to move files between boxes you can always
> use the ftp client on Winbloze and your Linux box as a
> go-between.

It would be simpler, but I suspect that would impose more
"travail" upon my wife than I would want for her.  She's never
used an ftp client in her life, I suspect (and we only do ssl
around here anyway).  I could remove some of the MS ipx/netbios
etc clients, but spyware that she downloads unknowingly could
still use the regular tcp/ip connection.  I still want her to get
her mail over tcp/ip from a local server.  So it seems to me
we're going to need an MS tcp/ip client at least.  And for her to
access the mp3 repository, I should think she'd need to read smb
shares (unless I wanted to get an nfs client for windows, which I
think are expensive, though I haven't looked).

So, if I'm reading you correctly, by turning off MS networking,
I'm also turning off the services my wife needs, like access to
http, smtp, pop3, and mp3 (grin).  She needs to feel as connected
at home as she does at work, or more so.  But I just want it to
be safely and securely.

Or am I missing what you're saying?

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net