[ale] 486/8 meg memory as a gateway?

Ryan Bradford Neily rbn at gsu.cs.GaSoU.EDU
Fri Jan 26 13:50:43 EST 2001

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Wandered Inn wrote:

Accoring to either the IP/Masqerade HOWTO or the ISP-Hookup-HOWTO a 486/33
with 16 megs of memory can fully saturate a full T-1 worth of bandwidth.
I would like that that would be more than sufficient for a 128k ISDN line.
(Possibly you could even use a 386!!)

> Any of you network gurus tell me if I'm making a mistake to try and use
> a 486 with 8 meg of memory for my ISDN connectivity and gateway?
>
> Also, anyone tell my why the machine boots and the bios reports 8 meg,
> but free reports 6372??
>
> --
> Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
>
> "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds.
> The
> latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to
> hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
> intelligence."
> - Albert Einstein

Ryan Bradford Neily                              Phone: 770-565-9017
Georgia Southern University
=-> Visit the GSU Computer Science Home Page: http://www.cs.gasou.edu <-=