[ale] 486/8 meg memory as a gateway?

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Fri Jan 26 13:33:30 EST 2001

> I've often wondered about the option in the kernel that says CPU can't
> keep up with the network load.  I want that kinda bandwidth.
>
> As to the original question, you may have a problem
> installing depending
> on what hardware it has.  I have a 486-DX4-100 notebook w/12M
> I was gonna
> make into a router.  No CD drive and all the network installs
> required 16M
> of RAM (well RedHat did).  Guess I need to look into Mandrake or
> something.

I use Coyote Linux for this purpose and although it says it requires 16MB,
I'm using it with 12MB without a problem.  CL is basically a
purpose-configured version of the LRP floppy.  I have no hard drive in the
machine at all, and there's a 2x CD-ROM drive there only to plug the hole in
the front.

Recall that Mandrake is Pentium-and-up only, although if you hunt around on
the site there may be a "down-compiled" version you can use, IIRC.

- Jeff