[ale] Linuxgruven

Perry perryw at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 24 17:10:41 EST 2001

At 04:37 PM 1/24/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Well, how about giving them, linuxgruven a call? Use a little social
>engineering
>and see if they are up to what they say. Most companies are now making you
>pay the
>training money up front because to many people job hop, get the training
>and leave
>the company against the contract. Even if they sign a contract it cost more in
>court fees than it is worth to have them held to it, and then again who
>wants a
>disgruntled employ working for them.

Right Gary, I interviewed yesterday and just got off the phone with the
HR.  I picked his brain for 15 minutes to see what I could figure out.  The
things he says indicates that the company is moving up, they were in the
black last year -- something very good for startup technology firm.  I had
never heard of paying for training up front before starting, it had always
been signing a contract to work for x amount of time.  I guess this is a
way of enforcing the contract -- don't work for a year, don't get paid
training.

They're moving to a new office off of P'tree-Dunwoody near the King & Queen
building in the next couple of weeks.  I don't imagine rent is cheap there,
so they're either doing pretty good or making alot of money off of the
scam.  And they must be doing really well to be opening a new office in
Nawlins next week, and 5 or 6 more in the next two months.

One thing that did draw my attention is that the tests are NOT given at
Prometric testing centers, but rather in house.  Probably not a problem,
but the testing integrity/environment is not as high, IMHO, as at a
Prometric center.  He said that the certification will be recognized by
whomever needs to recognize it, not just a special Linuxgruven cert..

FWIW, caller ID on their call says "HQ Global Workplace."  They probably
just have HR setup in that place while waiting for the other office space
to get finished up.  Also, the address listed on the WHOIS sounds like the
same that the guy at the St. Louis BBB mentioned to me.. Maybe I'll ask a
guy I know in St. Louis what he's heard about them..

-- perry