[ale] Win2K through linux firewall to netopia vpn

Chris Egolf cegolf at ugholf.net
Mon Jan 22 18:17:21 EST 2001

Gary MacKay wrote:

> Question:
> Is there a way to configure my linux/ipchains firewall so that I can VPN in
> from my Win2K pro box?
>
> Explanation:
> I have a client that was using a linux box/ipchains as their dial-up
> internet connection/firewall. They have just switched to a wire-less
> internet connection and the ISP removed the linux box and installed a
> Netopia router/firewall box. There is a vpn running on it and I was able to
> reconfigure the remote laptops to connect via the Win98 vpn stuff. All is
> well there. My problem is I can no longer get in to maintain the network.
> (I used to ssh in).

If I understand you correctly, you want the linux/ipchains firewall to
support VPN communication in and out?  I think you need to patch the
2.2.x kernel in order to do this, and the actual patch depends on the
type of VPN you're trying to use.  The VPN-HOWTO is probably the best
place to start.   It's pretty clear and easy to follow.

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/VPN-Masquerade-HOWTO.html
                               Chris Egolf
             http://www.ugholf.net     cegolf at ugholf.net