[ale] Mixer/Recorder

Jonathan Feldman Jonathan at chathamcounty.org
Mon Jan 22 14:34:02 EST 2001

Waitaminute.  Do you want to simply do single track
recording, or do you want to use your Linux box as a
home multi-track recording studio, ala DigiDesign
( http://www.digidesign.com/ ).

Are you going to mix down your stuff?  Or do you just
want a virtual single-track tape recorder?  I don't know
of ANY Linux solution that is a multi-track recording studio
... but Digidesign ProTools is FREE if you only want
8 tracks (you gotta pay for the 24-track version, imagine
that. :) )  I've used it.  It rocks.  Unfortunately, you'll have
to have a Win partition ...

My opinion is, if you use your computer for this
type of app, you want to have a dedicated partition
anyhow ... Mac, Wintel, or Linux.

However, if anyone knows of a Linux solution, I'd love
to know about it. :J

--J

I. Herman writes:
 > How hard is it to do?  I am not totally up on console yet (not in linux
 > anyway).  I just wanna record a couple of guitar tracks and that's bout it.

The easiest way is to 'cat /dev/dsp > guitar.track' and then play into
you mic.  To play back 'cat guitar.track > /dev/dsp'.

With a real recording system you would be able to select the sample
rate, mono/stereo, etc, and then edit the file when you are done.  But
this works.

--Michael