[ale] ata 100 and RH 7.0

Michael Smith MSmith at webtonetech.com
Mon Jan 22 14:17:32 EST 2001

I have an Asus CUSL2 with an IBM Deskstar Model DTLA-307030 hard
drive(http://www.storage.ibm.com/hardsoft/diskdrdl/prod/ds75gxp40gv.htm)

I have installed Win2K, Whistler, and RH Linux 7.0 on this drive and I dual
boot.  To Begin with, I believe an 40 pin 80 conductor cable is required to
use these hard drives.  I don't know for sure but my MB guide said that to
run at Ultra DMA Mode 5, this cable was required.  I believe these cables
are needed because of the interference or noise that occur on the 40
conductor 40 pin wires.  You can pick one up at Comp USA for about 30 - 40
bucks.  Assuming you have the right cable, I installed Windows 2K on the
root partition taking up 10 mb, Whistler on the next 10 mb, and RH 7.0 on
the next 10 mb.  I added the Windows boot loader to Lilo to allow me to boot
into the Windows partitions and I had to add lba32 to my lilo.conf to allow
me to boot into Redhat.  I can post my lilo.conf file to the newsgroup if
you would like to see it.

One thing to note also is I am using cable select on all my drives.  I don't
think this would make any difference but I just thought I would mention it.