[ale] uptime?

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Feb 22 15:20:18 EST 2001

I've been rattling this around in what I use for a head, along with the
other responses. Lots of anecdotal evidence and opinions, plenty of good
flame bait, and nothing really useful seems to be developing. Well,
Brian's response is in a direction I suspect of being useful, but
elaboration on the theme might be useful.

By way of summary of what appears to be going on:

1) Single machine uptime (time between reboots) is of very limited value
as a figure of merit with respect to the stability of the software.

2) % of time a particular service is available on average is the user's
perception of stability.

3) Unplanned service interuptions are frequently expensive in terms of
administrator and user time if nothing else. Usually there will also be a
dollar cost, which should be estimateable in many cases.

4) Good administrators with good hardware & proper loading have better
uptimes than less good administrators with less good hardware and improper

Given that simple uptimes give no real usable information to beat
different OS's with (and granting the importance of OS stability), is
there a relatively good figure of merit which allows the rating of
stability?

Working from Brian's start, and taking the (apparently) common practice of
separate hardware for different services.

I assume a web site/complex, running the web server, a database, and
firewall et al. For the site as a whole to achieve 99% availablility, all
three machines must be providing their service (ignoring failover schemes
at the moment). Thus, each machine must be better than 99% available to
achieve the desired reliability. (I think it is about 99.5% minimum for
each machine).

Having the ability to fail over lowers the individual reliability
requirements, but durned if I know how to approximate them. I _think_ the
individual machines can be less reliable if services can be switched
between machines. I am of course assuming that addition of a service to a
loaded machine will only slow the service down, and _not_ change the
stability of the machine.

Adding concepts like cost of lost jobs (on average) and so forth - way
beyond my current skills.

Thanks to all of you for letting me babble out loud.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
                    Lee Iacocca
Thompson Freeman          tfreeman at intel.digichem.net