[ale] Baaad POP problems (OT)

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Fri Feb 16 09:03:28 EST 2001

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Joseph A. Knapka wrote:
> For the past couple of days I have been unable to get email
> from one of my email accounts via POP. Every client I've
> tried (Netscape on Linux, Netscape on NT, Fetchmail on
> Linux, and (had to wash hands several times after) Outlook
> Express) hangs indefinitely while fetching the first message.

My mom had this before where there was a corrupt message (not an exchange
server though).  I've never had any problem with our exchange server or
with Outlook Express.   Try this

telnet popserver 110
USER username
PASS password
LIST

that'll list the messages.
RETR number
will get the specified message.
DEL or DELE number
will remove the specified message.

That may help you track down and remove a bad message.