[ale] testing for open relays

Richard Holt rholt at telcel.net.ve
Wed Dec 19 09:29:02 EST 2001

Ken,

> Hi there,
>
> Uhm anyone know a good way to test for open relays. I have seen this before
> but I am not sure where I say it. I serached on google and didn't find
> anything I liked...
>
> Thanks
> Ken

This is a note I got back once when my ISP was identified as an "open
relay server" and was black holed, my mail was not received.

"An open mail relay is a mail server that allows anyone from anywhere on
the Internet to forward email through it.  An open mail relay allows
spammers to steal Internet service and computer resources from you. The
spammer mass mails the Internet for free via your mail server and Internet
connection.

More information can be found at http://or.orbl.org/

You need to contact your ISP about this issue and let them know
that they are being reported as an Open Relay server.  This has nothing
to do with our infrastructure.  An excellent page for them to fix their
problem is at http://mail-abuse.org/tsi/ar-fix.html which you may want to
pass along to them."

Good luck,
Richard.

> But I don't want to go among mad people,
> Alice remarked.
> Oh, you can't help that, said the Cat:
> we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
> How do you know I'm mad? said Alice.
> You must be, said the Cat,
> or you wouldn't have come here.
>

> ---
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

GO-TRO,ca Instrumentación,  vox/fax 011-58-265-641-3457

---