[ale] Multiheaded X Freezes

Steven A. DuChene linux-clusters at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 18 13:33:17 EST 2001

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 01:16:55PM -0500, Benjamin Dixon wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Last night I finally procured the monitors and video cards necessary to
> setup my machine as a multiheaded X box (one desktop across 3 monitors).
> I did this using Ximian under RedHat 7.1, two trident 96xx cards and the
> built in i810 AGP video on my Dell Dimension l600r (P3 600, 384Mb RAM,
> 16Mb video). Everything works great, for awhile. It seems that if I use
> Mozilla for awhile, X freezes up. I have to shutdown and restart to
> reclaim my monitors. Has anyone else had anything like that happen with
> the xinerama extensions to XFree 4.0.3? I haven't had a chance to switch
> out the tridents, which I think have 1Mb video RAM (they're old ok! :)).
> Could this be the problem?

I would strongly advise upgrading to XFree86-4.1.0   Many improvements
were made. What kernel are you running? I know a few code changes were
made to the AGP agpgart support for the i810 video stuff as well as
perhaps some mtrr stuff which should be enabled also.
Steven A. DuChene      linux-clusters at mindspring.com
                      sduchene at mindspring.com

        http://www.mindspring.com/~sduchene/

---