[ale] Multiheaded X Freezes

Benjamin Dixon beatle at arches.uga.edu
Tue Dec 18 13:16:55 EST 2001

Hi all,

Last night I finally procured the monitors and video cards necessary to
setup my machine as a multiheaded X box (one desktop across 3 monitors).
I did this using Ximian under RedHat 7.1, two trident 96xx cards and the
built in i810 AGP video on my Dell Dimension l600r (P3 600, 384Mb RAM,
16Mb video). Everything works great, for awhile. It seems that if I use
Mozilla for awhile, X freezes up. I have to shutdown and restart to
reclaim my monitors. Has anyone else had anything like that happen with
the xinerama extensions to XFree 4.0.3? I haven't had a chance to switch
out the tridents, which I think have 1Mb video RAM (they're old ok! :)).
Could this be the problem?

Ben

---