[ale] can anyone explain this?

tewkewl at mindspring.com tewkewl at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 17 12:52:16 EST 2001

It looks like both ip addresses you are pinging are the same, so dns is correct on both of them.

but if the linux box is routing for your home network, depending on the proc. it has, it might be dropping icmp to perform routing functions for the rest of the network.  a good test would be to re-ping yoru work address and check packet loss, then ping google or yahoo and check for packet loss...  It is very possible for the linux machine to route icmp for one host but drop icmp destined for itself based on cpu load.

-Patrick

Christopher Bergeron <christopher at bergeron.com> wrote:
> I have a few boxen on my internal home network (192.168.0.x); among them are
a few linux boxes and 1 lowly win 2k box.

Here's the inconceiveable part:  My work domain:  bass-associates.com just
recently changed Network Solutions DNS entries to point at _our_ work DNS
server.  Now, when I try to ping my work domain from my win box at
home(which gateways out of a linux box) I get this:
---------
C:\>time
The current time is: 23:11:26.29
Enter the new time:

C:\>ping www.bass-associates.com

Pinging www.bass-associates.com [12.108.240.165] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 12.108.240.165:
    Minimum = 30ms, Maximum =  40ms, Average =  32ms
----------
Yet from my linux box (the gateway for the winbox), I get this:

[root at proto1 /]# date; ping www.bass-associates.com -c 3
Fri Dec 14 23:01:30 EST 2001
PING www.bass-associates.com (12.108.240.165) from 24.98.82.217 : 56(84)
bytes of data.

--- www.bass-associates.com ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max/mdev = 74.240/74.240/74.240/0.000 ms
------------

The linux box(gateway) is getting 66% packet loss, and the win box isn't!!!
DoH!!!
Has the win box somehow gotten more accurate(/recent) DNS info?  The linux
box (gateway) has it's clock set daily to the National Observatory / Naval
Atomic Clock so it's the accurate one.   I use the win2k box to browse, but
I use the linux for everything else [pron: important].  Could the winbox
have gotten DNS info from sites it browses to or something?  When I ping by
IP address, I get fast response time from _both_ machines.

This whole thing has me absolutely befuddled...
Does anyone have any clues/ideas/suggestions about what is going on?

Much respect in advance!
CB

---
sent to listmaster at ale dot org.