[ale] Linux or Unix Hosting Recommendations

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Fri Dec 14 14:36:11 EST 2001

These guys do servlets as well as MySQL, and are dirt cheap to boot:

www.DigitalSpace.net

I've been *mostly* satisfied with their stuff. However, one thing to keep in
mind: by default, they don't do backups. I don't know if that's an optional
package you can purchase. I do know that when my webhost was cracked using
an exploit for older RH 6.2 systems (which my webhost was running at the
time), I wound up losing all of my website content. They said they had
backed up my email, but I haven't heard anything back about where the backup
is.

I also recently had a glitch with email; their MTA was keeping my incoming
email but not forwarding it to my inbox. Fortunately, it turned out to be a
minor problem. It was annoying that no one was available to do anything
about it until around noon EST (they're on the left coast).

I don't know what they do for a shopping cart app. Since the account has
Perl and MySQL access, I'm wondering if you could use the open-sourced
Zelerate package for that.

Fulton Green
techie for hire
http://www.FultonGreen.com/career/techsumm.html

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 02:12:34PM -0500, Mike Millson wrote:
> The short version of this e-mail is that I have 7 Web sites that I'm looking
> to consolidate onto a single server. Of course, it has to be Linux, Unix, or
> some variant. I need Java servlet support, and either MySQL or similar
> database. I also have a client that will be using Miva Merchant, so that is
> somewhat important, but I suppose an equally functional shopping cart
> application would do.

---