[ale] [Fwd: Re: [ale] XP and Samba]

Jimmie Fulton JFulton at ehso.emory.edu
Tue Dec 11 09:59:03 EST 2001

What James stated is true.  Further, Windows 2000 / Windows XP actually have
the option to turn off NetBIOS; none of Microsoft's previous operating
systems have this feature and networking would not work without NetBIOS.  In
setting up a Windows 2000 domain and clients, it is possible to go into
"Native Mode" in which NetBIOS is disabled and not used throughout the
network.  The option to use NetBIOS is only there to provide backward
compatibility with previous MS OSs.  From what I can tell, the only way this
will work for W2K network is if all machines are participating in Active
directory and using dynamic updates to Microsoft's DNS server.  Otherwise,
the machines cannot find each other.  They must have some way to find each
other... NetBIOS or Windows version of DNS.  Samba DOES need NetBIOS over
TCP/IP running on the Windows machine to mount Windows shares, at least in
the recent version I'm using.  I verified this by connecting with a W2K
machine which had NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled (the two machines are on
different networks).  I then disabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP and tried to mount
it again.  SMB connection failed.  Re-enabled and it works fine.

---