[ale] pppoe and dns and Hellsouth DSL

Wylde Bill dbaron13 at atl.bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 10 17:06:45 EST 2001

John Wells wrote:

> I've got Bellsouth DSL connected with Roaring Penguin.
>  I'm having a problem with DNS lookups.  Bellsouth
> pushes these addresses to you via the server, so I
> specified "server" in the RP setup.
>
> Watching /var/log/messages, I can see plainly that
> these are setup by pppd.  But all pings/dnslookups/etc
> fail.
>
> Big conceptual gap here....so I don't know exactly how
> to fix it.  I know resolv.conf typically contains the
> DNS settings.  How does linux handle it when they're
> pushed by the server (btw, they're not automatically
> inserted into /etc/resolv.conf)?
>
> If someone can fill this gap, I'd appreciate it.

Easiest thing to do to avoid all the fun is just to put the hellsouth
DNS servers in resolv.conf.  Numbers are as follows:  205.152.0.20 and
205.152.0.5 .  It works.  *shrug*

     Chicago Cubs outfielder Andre Dawson on being a role model:
      "I want all The kids to do what I do, to look up to me. I
                want all the kids to copulate me."

(,,oBo,,)
 Wylde Bill                                               ||||
http://lyst.org
http://www.geocities.com/wyldechylde_1999
http://mrpooter.sytes.net
wyldechylde at geocities.com