[ale] command doesn't work from script, only command line...

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Sat Dec 8 10:58:45 EST 2001

Does anyone know why this command:

cd `history | grep cd | grep -v grep | tail -n 2 | tail -n 1 | tr -s " " |
cut -f 4 -d " "`

works from the command line, but not from a [verbatim] shell script:
#!/bin/bash
cd `history | grep cd | grep -v grep | tail -n 2 | tail -n 1 | tr -s " " |
cut -f 4 -d " "`

I just named it p (for Previous) so I can switch to the directory I just
came from.  It doesn't work though.  Any suggestions?

---