[ale] Was Routing, Then VPN, Now Working

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 3 05:54:29 EST 2001

Chris Fowler wrote:

> Good  News,
>
> After working 3 more hours this morning,  I finally got the VPN stuff working. Here is my conslustions.
>
> 1.  The HOWTO documentation totally SUCKS!
> 2..  pty-redir.c had  a major flaw that caused issues with 2.4 kernels
> 3.  vpnd scripts SUCK!
>
> The only way to remedy this problem is to create a new VPN howto and create one that does
> the following:
>
> 1.  Works
> 2.  Explains in detail how and most importantly why to set things up
> 3. Discusses more on setting up SSH authentication

Chris,

I have some material that may be of help here, including
a document that explains, based on my exploration of the
OpenSSH source, the precise order in which SSH attempts
to use each authentication method. It's not obvious, IMO,
from the docs. Also, I have a set of Tcl and bash scripts
that I used to keep a VPN up between my home and my office;
they handled things like releasing the ppp interface if one
side or the other of the VPN died for some reason, and
automatically reconnecting in such cases. And somewhere I
have a hacked vertion of pty-redir.c that works with
Unix98 ptys.

Cheers,

-- Joe

--
# "This torch I bear is scorching me; Buffy's
   laughing, I've no doubt! I hope she fries,

---