[ale] Routing Questions

Geoffrey esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Sun Dec 2 20:40:03 EST 2001

Joseph A Knapka wrote:

> Geoffrey wrote:
> >
> > Joseph A Knapka wrote:

> > > You need some form of VPN.
> >
> > Why?  I can understand if you want the connection to be secure, but I
> > didn't catch that in the original post.  Why can't he use the ips
> > provided by the telocity connections to provide the connectivity?
>
> Because his network addresses aren't publically routable.

I realize that, hence the suggestion of using the ips provided by
telocity.

My point is, there are two issues here.  The connectivity issue, I
think, can be fixed without a vpn solution.  I just didn't see anything
in the original posting that indicated he wanted/needed to protect the
data.

As I recall, the question was about routing from A to B, nothing noted
regarding encryption or protection.  He may not care who sees the stuff,
who knows.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users
that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html

---