[ale] WAS: Re: [ale] OMG politics goes digital? and TAKING IT FURTHER OT

Geoffrey esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Sun Dec 2 20:24:33 EST 2001

Thompson Freeman wrote:

> Oh man - off topic by a mile and I've had my buttons pushed.
> <rant>
> If you pay attention as you are processed through the jury system, you
> will probably notice that what is wanted is nice, passive, leadable,
> emotive jurors - NOT independent thinkers. Notice that the jurors _don't_
> get to take notes, don't ask questions, in fact don't do a single active
> thing to indicate that they are still breathing until they get into the
> jury room.

I would disagree with the 'NOT independent thinkers issue.'  Each of the
sides is going to try an get the folks that are going to lean their
way.  Being an independent thinker may well count against you in some
cases, but certainly would go with you in others.  Generally that which
rubs one side wrong is going to favor the other, so I don't really think
you can make a blanket statement of 'they don't want' this or that.

Been a foreman twice.  I'm not sure where you got the thing about not
taking notes.  We were provided pencil and paper.  Couldn't take them
with us when it was all over, but that makes sense.  I guess it might
depend on the county or level you're at.

Once we went to deliberation and were stuck, the judge did inquire and
permit our input.

I'm not sure why you would want a jury to have input during the trial.
Asking questions is permitted though.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users
that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html

---