[ale] two connections to internet??

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Aug 30 12:42:30 EDT 2001

At that point, why soak up three bus slots with NICs? There are cards
which support 2,4 and more ethernet connections (_not_ internal hubs -
full ethernet adaptors). The software setup remains the same as with
separate cards, but you haven't consumed all expansion slots.  Possibly
bad security, but add a firewalled modem with the saved slot.

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Leonard Thornton wrote:

> Wht not build a single firewall with 3 Ethernet cards? (2 external
> connection and 1 internal connection)  Setup you DSL as a primary route
> and the cable as secondary in your routing entries.  Use NAT and
> prtforwarding to route traffic to your mail / web / ftp servers on the
> internal network from the outside world.
>

> Gary MacKay wrote:
>
> > Ok, here's a weird question for you. I had RoadRunner service and
> > recently installed a DSL line so I could have a dedicated IP. (Yes, I'm
> > aware of dyndns.org, but choose not to for now.) Currenly my firewall
> > box is connected to the DSL and my cable modem is sitting here mocking
> > me with it's little blinking lights. It was way faster than this DSL,
> > and I just can't bring myself to shut if off. My question is, can I have
> > both? :) Something like this?
> >

> >                      Internet             Internet
> >                          |                    |
> >                      firewall 1           firewall 2
> >                          |                    |
> >                          +------- hub --------+
> >                                   / \
> >                               mail   workstation(s)
> >                               srvr
> >
> > I envision just setting the gateway address of my workstion(s) to
> > firewall-2 so I can enjoy the fast connection for every day browsing,
> > but the email/web server will use firewall-1 as it's gateway so the
> > fixed IP will work for it. Will it work? An added benefit would be if
> > one goes down, I could switch the gateway addr and keep browsing!
> >
> > I realize I could split them apart as two seperate networks, but then my
> > workstations would have to go out the cable modem and back in the DSL
> > line to check email. Seems kind of wierd when the boxes sit about four
> > inches apart!!
> >
> > - Gary
> > --

The harder I work, the luckier I get.