[ale] Trivial SMTP server

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Fri Aug 24 17:19:38 EDT 2001

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Joseph Andrew Knapka wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm looking for an ultra-stupid, works-out-of-the-box-
> with-minimal-configuration daemon that will do nothing
> but accept mail on my Linux box's port 25 and deliver
> it to a smart-host. Ideally, I'd like the configuration
> process to be as simple as telling it what smart-host
> to use and that's it.
>
> The reason I want this is that I use POP for all
> my incoming mail, but sometimes I want cron jobs
> or such to be able to send me email, and I want
> that email to end up in my my regular mailbox on
> my ISP, not in a local mail folder. Currently I'm
> not running any SMTP daemon at all. I'm sure
> sendmail is over-overkill for this job, and I
> shudder at the thought of configuring it again
> (it's been a few years since I've done it --
> carefree blissful years, I might add :-).

This is not the answer you asked for but here goes...

Why not run sendmail/fetchmail locally and just point your POP3 client of
choice at a local mail folder? Most allow you to do this anyway. Fetchmail
is really nice, and sendmail/procmail locally can be very useful as well.
If it's a ease of configuration issue, try this out...

http://cork.linux.ie/projects/install-sendmail/

This nifty script will take care of configuring sendmail/fetchmail on your
machine. I can verify that it works flawlessly on Red Hat, Mandrake,
Slackware, Caldera, and Suse.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security