[ale] Low-Res X Problem

Steve Throckmorton ttwelve at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 19 22:31:53 EDT 2001

I am pretty much a Linux newbie, but your problem interested me, so I poked around on some X sites, and  this  one says that ISA chipsets must be correctly specified in the device section (not necessary for PCI).  I have no idea if this helps or not, but thought I'd pass it along.
--- Jeff Hubbs  wrote:
> I just put Red Hat 7.1 (XFree86 4.0.3) on a 486 with a 512KB Trident
> TVGA8900B-based ISA-bus video card.  The XF86Config file below is the
> output of Xconfigurator.  I am selecting 640x480 with 8 bpp (by design -
> the monitor won't go past that resolution and I get blank screens and a
> timeout in Xconfigurator at any higher bpp.
>
> Here is basically what I see:  the top half of the screen is black.  A
> truncated X display appears in the bottom half at a ridiculously low
> resolution but at a proper X-Y proportion.  The resolution looks like it
> might be 320x??? (imagine an "X" cursor ~3/4" across on a 14" monitor).
> The mouse pointer appears to move upwards into the black area but moves
> downwards only as far as the point where I see just the tip of the arrow
> at the bottom of the screen (i.e., just what you'd expect).
>
> I see the part in XF86Config where the comments say "Low-res Doublescan
> modes / If your chipset does not support doublescan, you get a
> 'squashed' / resolution like 320x400", but I don't have a good feel as
> to how to fix the problem.
>
> I don't think this problem is terribly related to the type of card
> because I had the exact same problem on another machine when I was
> trying to specify the same resolution using the same distro.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Jeff
>
>...............output file truncated..............Do You Yahoo!?
Make international calls for as low as $0.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger.