[ale] AT&T RR

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Mon Aug 13 22:20:36 EDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 04:10:41PM -0500, Jason Lynn wrote:
> It appears that AT&T Roadrunner service is now blocking port 80 (at least
> for me).  I'm using the Listen directive in apache's httpd.conf to listen on
> two additional ports (which is working flawlessly... can't complain!).

	They are blocking port 80 due to rampant Code Red running loose.
They will argue that their acceptable use policy (correctly) does not
permit the use of web servers under the residential broadband terms.
If you want commercial service, get a commercial agreement which includes
a static IP.

	Absolutely, the WORST problem has come from broadband users
and that has propagated to corporations.  Russ Cooper has reported that
THE major contamination vector of Code Red into corporate networks has
been users on open broadband getting infected and then bringing their
PC's into work and propagating the problem.  Blocking port 80 on broadband
was a VERY welcome development from the view of the security community.

	The CodeRed running rampant on the broadband networks was also
responsible for the massive service problems over the last few weeks.
If you noticed your service getting better the last couple of days, you
can thank that blocking...

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/