[ale] bleeding edge (was why so difficult)

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 29 13:08:06 EST 2000

The MP3 debate could drag on a long time. But the reason there are so
many "illegal" copies of songs today is that the recording industry
tried to kill the technology first instead of working with it. The
entertainment industry fell behind the same way with videocassettes in
the 70's and they used the same rhetoric then that they use against
MP3's now. Clearly, videocassettes did not kill the movie industry and
MP3's won't kill the music business either. What they will do--and are
doing--is force some lazy executives to rethink their business model.
But there is no guarantee--legal or otherwise--that any one business
model will last forever. That's one of the exciting things about the
evolution of Linux and open source programming.