[ale] 3D graphics device advice needed

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Tue Oct 17 11:56:20 EDT 2000

OK, so I've had my 300 lb. 266 MHz MMX w/2D-only graphics notebook for two
and a half years now, and I'm thinking it might be time to upgrade. I'd
prefer to get another notebook, but I'll settle for a tower and LCD display
if I can't find what I need.

One requirement for the target system is that there be at least some moderate
support for 3D graphics using XFree 4.0's direct rendering infrastructure
(DRI) combined with the 2.4 kernel's direct rendering management feature.
I'd really like to get back into the "wasting my time with Quake" mode. :)

According to the config for linux-2.4.0-test10-pre3, the following devices
have at least an attempt at support for DRI:

3dfx Banshee/Voodoo3+
3dlabs GMX 2000
ATI Rage 128
Intel I810
Matrox g200/g400

Out of these devices, frame buffer support exists only for:

3dfx Banshee/Voodoo3+
ATI Rage 128
Matrox

so I'm guessing I should limit my choice to one of these three platforms.

So ... any thoughts? Any feedback on either the devices' relation to Linux
or simply a heads-up on a notebook incorporating one of these would be
greatly appreciated ...