[ale] OT: DSL with Telocity

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at wizvax.net
Thu Oct 12 06:54:17 EDT 2000

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Jonathan Rickman wrote:

> I don't know anything about Telocity in the Atl area but I must ask this
> to save some confusion...
>
> Glenn,
>
> Aren't you the one who moved to NY?

Moved, no.  I have lived in NY for 29 years.

> If so...your experiences there may be irrelevant. Not a flame...I just
> hate to see one bad apple spoil the whole bunch. I've heard nothing
> but good things about Telocity. Maybe it's a regional problem.

I do blame Verizon (the ILEC in NY) for most of the delay, including a
two-week strike that occurred near the start of the order.  Allowing for
that (it was actually a 16-day strike), we come to today being day 103,
not 119.  If we then subtract 30 days because my local loop got slammed by
a CLEC, and it took 30 days (until a bill arrived) to discover, that
brings us to 73 days.  What is left is between Verizon and Telocity.

Now, of what is left, I would have put entire blame on Verizon (they
deserve it, believe me), but for the fact that Telocity dropped the
ball.  On 8/12, the modem arrived, no sync.  They got Verizon to fix
that.  It took until 9/10.  On 9/12, I put another call in to Telocity,
because while I was syncing, I was not (and still am not) connecting.  I
get an alarm light on the modem itself.  They sent it to their home wiring
deparment on 9/12.  It never got passed to Verizon until 10/2.  This is
why I am upset with Telocity; it all lies in that time span from 9/12 to
10/2.

Now if there are people out there who are happy with Telocity, then more
power to you.  I really really really want Telocity's service and not Road
Runner because of philosophical differences with Time-Warner, and the
Linux friendly nature of Telocity, and the static IP address.  I want it
very badly.  I do not, however, want it badly enough to stay with it if
they drop the ball when they know I've been held up and held up and held
up.

I am considering extending the deadline by one week.  As I have said, I
would really prefer their service over Time-Warner's, but I have GOT to
get off this $@&! dial-up modem!

--
Critter at Wizvax.Net
119 days is too long to wait for Telocity and Verizon to hook up my DSL.