[ale] Various Rambling Linux Thoughts/Difficulties

Frank Zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Mon Oct 9 22:28:10 EDT 2000

Thanks for sharing the experiences. I considered doing a fresh 7.0 install,
but I'm
getting the feeling that RH 7.0 is for the adventerous. My free time is at a
premium,
and I rather like the 'settled feel' of 6.2. Should I take the 'don't
upgrade until
necessary' path, and wait for 7.1? I'm not the type that enjoys fixing
'things that
once worked good but got broke bad' by pgm nor OS upgrades (with any OS,
for that matter).  ;-)

--fgz

upgrading
> to RH 7.0 (manually, natch) and THEN compiling the latest 2.4-test kernel
> using the now-infamous 2.96 "release" of GCC.
>
> Believe it or not, I made it through all that (mostly) unscarred. Not that
> I'm ready to start pressing any "Upgrade now! Ask me how!" bumper stickers
> or anything, but here's what I went through:
>
> I took the freebie distro that Red Hat was handing out at the Interop
trade
> show. FWIW, this version appears to be "Red Hat lite": several packages
that
> are included in the online FTP version of the distro were missing from
this
> CD set. This is a 2 CD set, but unlike the CDs that Red Hat is selling,
where
> binary RPMs are distributed throughout more than one CD, the second CD in
> this set had no binary RPMs, just the source RPMs. I think most of the
> missing packages are incidentiary development libs, docs and data files,
> though.
>
> So like I said before, I upgraded the RPMs manually. That's as in running
> "rpm -Uvh file1.rpm file2.rpm ..." several times over. That was a pain,
and
> certainly don't try this at home. I didn't do the upgrade option from the
> install program, because:
>
> 1) I tried that with RH 6.0 and 6.2 only to get nice "install failed" msgs
>
> 2) My fears of bad reactions to the way I've config'd the 2.4 test kernel.
>
> Since I'm a bit of a stickler for trying not to clobber stuff
unnecessarily,
> I did everything possible to avoid having to use the "--force" option of
RPM.
> Which meant that I had to discover and follow a pretty meticulous path for
> upgrading.
>
> The biggest headache was in trying to upgrade RPM itself. This meant
upgrading
> the GNU database library and GLibC. At first, this seemed to break nearly
> all dependencies on my system. Fortunately, I discovered that the distro
> also provided backwards-compatible libraries (which in some cases, are
still
> used by some of the packages). Once I got over that hump, manual upgrading
> became easier.
>
> Another big headache was trying to get the new version (4.0.1) of XFree to
> work w/my chipset (CT65555). After hours of thrashing with XFree's
official
> new config app (xf86cfg) and Red Hat's console-based hack (Xconfigurator),
> finally came up with an XF86Config (which, BTW, is syntactically different
> from XFree 3.3.6) that would let me run 1024x768. Unfortunately, I lost
24-bit
> color capability (which I had previously with 3.3.6) and settled for
16-bit.
> FWIW, RH also provides 3.3.6 versions of various X display servers. Being
> that this is on my laptop, modelines are moot.
>
> Once I got that going, I tried running with the new GNOME stuff. Some of
my
> previous settings didn't seem to translate well, so I nuked my .sawmill
and
> .gnome* directories and started over. Much better results. I did notice
that
> xscreensaver wasn't able to initialize itself if I started X using
"startx"
> from a command line. That problem went away after I switched to the GNOME
> display manager (gdm). FWIW, some of the GNOME office apps (AbiWord and
Dia,
> [...]
>
> One feature of it that's pretty neat is the new devfs mechanism, which
> provides a mechanism for creating block, character and other special
devices
> in the /dev hierarchy on the fly, in memory (as opposed to the current
/dev
> hiearchy, which is relatively static and takes up a little bit of disk
> space). Watch out, though, because unless you can grab the devfsd package
> (which did not appear on my CD), you'll break several packages that are
> expecting old device names (most common example is /dev/mouse, which in my
> case is now /dev/misc/psaux). Since I'm using the new /dev scheme, I chose
> not to upgrade to the dev or MAKEDEV packages. The only major consequence
of
> this is that I can't install mod_ssl since it requires the dev RPM.
>
> 2.4 also includes support for USB hubs (either OHCI or UHCI) and even for
> a few devices. Unfortunately, I can't get the stock kernel to allocate an
> IRQ for my UHCI hub (though hardcoding one at least gets it recognized),
and
> I have no luck getting it to recognize my USB scanner (the QuickCam VC is
> another issue entirely, thanks to Logitech's closed-source policy).
>
> All you /.ers out there have probably seen the flamewar erupting over RH's
> decision to include a not-intended-for-public-consumption version (2.96.3
?)
> of the GCC distro. The GCC steering committee is lamenting the potential
for
> ABI breakage, particularly w/r/t C++ bindings. RH's response boils down to
> having been caught between a rock (previous versions that were supposedly
> even flakier) and a hard place (the GCC 3.0 waiting game).
>
> Just in case, RH provided an earlier version (2.91 ?) of the GNU C
compiler
> and specifically renamed that version kgcc, with the intent that kernel
> source code should be compiled specifically with that binary.
>
> So just for kicks, I went ahead and compiled the latest dev source
> (2.4.0-test9, to be exact) using the OTHER compiler (yeah, the
not-public-yet
> version). I did see quite a few warning messages that I had not seen
before,
> but other than those (and an unrelated dependency bug), I was able to
> successfully compile a bzImage and corresponding modules. Amazingly
enough,
> I was also able to boot the new kernel.
>
> OK, that's all. Hope you had as much fun reading this as I had going
through
> all this. Alright, I hope you had more fun. :)

> Fulton Green
> http://www.FultonGreen.com/
>

> On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 03:21:18PM -0400, Thompson Freeman wrote:
> >
> > While I've been on various RedHat distributions for years (since 4.0),
I'd