[ale] VPN recommendations?

Joe Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 27 12:30:56 EDT 2000

Do you get to choose the client platform as well, or will you have
to deal with heterogenous clients?

I'd have to guess that if you're starting from ground zero, it
would be best to use an IPSec solution (which theoretically
should be platform-neutral), but I've never done it, so I don't
have an informed opinion about that.

I use the ppp-over-ssh scheme described in the O'Reilly book
"Virtual Private Networks" (Scott, Wolfe, & Erwin) to VPN
my entire home network of Linux and M$ machines with my
employer's network. I've built a set of scripts for maintaining
the link (and updated everything to work with the recent versions
of pppd - the book and the HOWTO are a bit out of date), and
until recently it has always just worked. Now that I'm on RoadRunner
instead of Charter Pipeline I've been having some problems with
ssh connections, though - don't know just why yet.

Of course, the ppp/ssh solution requires Linux, or at least some variety
of Unix, to act as the tunnel endpoints on both ends (though
the rest of the machines on each net can be any platform you
like).

My employer has bought into some proprietary Cicso VPN
scheme; they're sending me a client for that, so I'll let you know
how it goes.

-- Joe Knapka
(now relocated from west GA to El Paso, TX)