[ale] named loosing a domain?

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Tue Jun 27 11:40:55 EDT 2000

> Right.  This I have.  The problem is it happens constantly, and has been for a few
> months now.  I can't see anything wrong with sunline.net and they claim there
> is nothing wrong either.
>
> Robert

Well, something doesn't seem right with their domain.  Querying a.root-servers.net
gives:

    sunline.net     nameserver = DNS1.sunline.net
    sunline.net     nameserver = DNS1.UTELFLA.COM
    DNS1.sunline.net        internet address = 207.30.56.2
    DNS1.UTELFLA.COM        internet address = 138.210.81.3

Querying DNS1.sunline.net gives:

    > sunline.net. 207.30.56.2

    Non-authoritative answer:
    sunline.net
            nameserver = dns.sunline.net
            ttl = 86400 (1D)
    sunline.net
            nameserver = dns1.utelfla.com
            ttl = 86400 (1D)
    sunline.net
            preference = 10, mail exchanger = dns.sunline.net
            ttl = 86400 (1D)
    sunline.net
            internet address = 207.30.56.2
            ttl = 86400 (1D)
    sunline.net
            ttl = 86400 (1D)
            origin = dns.sunline.net
            mail addr = postmaster.sunline.net
            serial = 1181111
            refresh = 3600 (1H)
            retry   = 300 (5M)
            expire  = 604800 (1W)
            minimum ttl = 86400 (1D)

    dns.sunline.net
            internet address = 207.30.56.2
            ttl = 86400 (1D)
    dns1.utelfla.com
            internet address = 138.210.81.3
            ttl = 154521 (1d18h55m21s)

Why is DNS1.sunline.net giving non-authoritative answers, when it's supposed
to be an authoritative server for the domain?

Querying DNS1.UTELFLA.COM more often than not resulted in timeout errors.
However, in one of those rare instances when it did respond, it gave the following:

    > sunline.net. 138.210.81.3
    Non-authoritative answer:
    sunline.net
            nameserver = DNS1.sunline.net
            ttl = 163805 (1d21h30m5s)
    sunline.net
            nameserver = DNS1.UTELFLA.COM
            ttl = 163805 (1d21h30m5s)
    sunline.net
            internet address = 207.30.56.2
            ttl = 86186 (23h56m26s)
    sunline.net
            preference = 10, mail exchanger = dns.sunline.net
            ttl = 86028 (23h53m48s)

    sunline.net
            nameserver = DNS1.sunline.net
            ttl = 163805 (1d21h30m5s)
    sunline.net
            nameserver = DNS1.UTELFLA.COM
            ttl = 163805 (1d21h30m5s)
    DNS1.sunline.net
            internet address = 207.30.56.2
            ttl = 133394 (1d13h3m14s)
    DNS1.UTELFLA.COM
            internet address = 138.210.81.3
            ttl = 86400 (1D)
    dns.sunline.net
            internet address = 207.30.56.2
            ttl = 66524 (18h28m44s)

Once again, a server which is supposed to be authoritative for the
domain is giving non-authoritative answers.  Not only that, the answers
don't appear to come from a zone file, but from cache, because the ttl
values are counting down.

It appears that their name servers are broken.

--Joe