[ale] Installing Linux w/ Existing NT partition

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Thu Jun 8 16:38:20 EDT 2000

Gary Maltzen wrote:

> And I do it just the opposite of Wandered Inn...
>
> 1) Install LILO in the Linux boot partition
> 2) copy the first sector of the boot partition to a file
>    (dd if=/dev/hda2 of=bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1)
> 3) copy 'bootsect.lnx' to NT's C:\
> 4) add the following line to C:\BOOT.INI
>    C:\bootsect.lnx="Linux"

And it works fine, but it's truly a pain in the ass, in comparison to
using LILO in the mbr.  I used this solution originally with my first
laptop.  NT got pretty brain dead and I had decided to reinstall it.
Before doing so, I decided to see what would happen if I installed LILO
in the mbr.  I did so, and still could boot both Linux and NT fine.   I
did later reinstall NT (with NTFS) and Linux on this same box again with
LILO in the mbr.  It's running this way right now, and so is my
replacement laptop that I received about 3 months ago.  It came with NT
and NTFS.  I installed Mandrake 7.1 on this box, and it is my primary
work environment.  LILO on the mbr.  I reboot to NT to do vouchers for
work (NT app.) and to use PCanywarz to access some of our NT servers.
I've heard of folks having problems with putting LILO in the mbr, but
I've never had a problem.  It's a whole lot easier than the NT loader
solution.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

Microsoft != Innovation