[ale] Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 15:24:00 -0500

Brian J. Dowd bdowd at dentfirst.com
Thu Aug 17 19:01:40 EDT 2000

Why, if they just distributed the binary code dynamically linked to the
GPL'd libs, would that cause their code to become GPL'd? I think they
could do this. I also think they will put out a MSLinux. The kernel
would be GPL'd but their binary object code could check to make sure
that it was an 'MS Linux' installation.

It might even have to be re-licensed periodically over the internet on a
random basis. They would make the case that their brand of Linux comes
with MS support. They could easily follow the RedHat model. Do you think
the vast majority of computer users out there care about GNU or GPL
issues?

Why did GM make smaller cars in the 70's? Competition from overseas. MS
could easily make the case that you now have 'options'; MSWin or
MSLinux. Their apps would be closed, of course. I don't believe that MS
plans, for a minute, to ignore an evergrowing piece of the pie and let
Redhat, SuSe, Debian, etc. have a feast at their expense.

Just my ruminations....