[ale] current pulled by computer power supply

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Wed Aug 16 14:01:26 EDT 2000

If memory serves me right (apologies to Chairman Kaga), there's a place
right off of Northside Drive on Deering Rd. (?) called ACK Electronics.
Think of a "Radio Shack for non-dummies."  They have "real stuff."  If you
forsee yourself making these kinds of determinations on anything even
remotely like a regular basis, go ahead and get a good digital multimeter
and pick up attachments as necessary.  I bought a Fluke 73 (?) right after I
started working in '86 and I use the thing nearly every week.  I don't have
an AC current clamp for it, but I got a thermocouple module with two probes,
which proved to be more useful than I could have imagined.  Not only can I
do things like troubleshoot clothes dryers but at one point a few years ago,
I had what was probably the only "instrumented" compost heap east of Athens
(up to 165F inside!!).

The APC Smart-UPS units along with the Powerchute software have a depletion
test mode that will intentionally go on battery, time how long it takes for
the battery to get down to some low percentage, and then use that time for
actual outage situations.  That's a useful feature if one of your objectives
is to try to "ride out" outages.

- Jeff