[ale] Apache secure server

Dan Mount dmount at dtconnect.com
Tue Aug 8 08:42:43 EDT 2000

Yes, you can create your own certificate. The OpenSSL documentation explains
how to do this. Basically you are your own Root CA at that point. The users
browser will display a dialog telling them that the Root CA that generated
the certificate is untrusted, but Netscape and IE both give you the
opportunity to Install your Root Authority certificate into your browser's
trusted collection of certificates. If you want to keep your own certificate
and not get one from Verisign, or similar, you can have your users install
your Root cert into their browser and they won't see the dialog from that
point on.

This also extends to using client certificates for user validation. You'll
either have to pay Verisign, or generate them yourself. OpenSSL can handle
this for you too.

If you have a known user base and/or price/time is an issue, you can use
your own certificate (and be your own root authority) and have the same
encryption. You just won't have a company such as Verisign backing your
identity (Like you'd want for an e-commerce site).

I'd be happy to give more detailed info if anyone is in need... Lemmie
know...