[ale] Apache secure server

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Tue Aug 8 06:52:42 EDT 2000

Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> Gary -
>
> Is the Cobalt Qube an option?  IIRC, a "secure Apache" is already in place.
>
> However, to get SSL going by any means, you have to go through Verisign to
> get a Certificate ID, either for the whole server or each individual virtual
> site.  That takes a few days, worst case.

Not a lot of help here, but...

Quite a while ago, we were in the process of having to get a secure
server in place very quickly and the certificate was an issue as well.
Since this was on an Intranet we did not have large concerns regarding
obtaining a 'valid' certificate.  Point is, I had done some research,
which I never completed, but had found a number of references to
creating your own certificate.  Again, I never completed the research,
hence do not know if this can actually be done, but as I understand it,
what you end up with is a certificate certified by you.  When folks get
the certificate popup, it shows the info you've provided.

Maybe that's an option you can look into.  Most of the info I found on
this subject, at the time, I found on the netscape site.

Anyone knows this will not work, I'd be glad to hear about it, as I'll
be needing to go through a similar process in about 6 months.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

Microsoft != Innovation