[ale] Apache secure server

Yu, Jerry zyu at Ptek.com
Mon Aug 7 18:22:29 EDT 2000

#However, to get SSL going by any means, you have to go through Verisign to
#get a Certificate ID, either for the whole server or each individual virtual
#site.  That takes a few days, worst case.

You can run the secure server with your self-signed certificate while
waiting for the real one from Verisign. Additionally, you only needs the
encryption (but not the authentication yourself to the browswer/user), you
can even stay with your self-signed certificate for as long as you desire.

 #
#- Jeff
#
#> -----Original Message-----
#> From: Gary S. Mackay [mailto:Gary at edisoninfo.com]
#> Sent: Monday, August 07, 2000 5:02 PM
#> To: ale at ale.org
#> Subject: [ale] Apache secure server
#>
#> What is the quickest/recommended way to get a secure server
#> online? I've
#> downloaded the tarballs etc. and have it somewhat running on
#> an in-house
#> server, but I'm running out of time. I have several clients
#> that want sites
#> on-line soon. Should I just go purchase the RedHat
#> Professional and be done
#> with it, or maybe some package of FreeBSD that includes the
#> apache/mysql/php
#> secure stuff? Please, I do not want a flame war about bsd vs
#> linux. I just
#> need a helping hand in getting this up and running. I'll keep
#> plugging away at
#> my compiled version as I get time. Right now, I don't have any.
#>
#> TIA,
#>  Gary
#>
#> --
#> Edison Information Technologies
#> P.O. Box 554
#> Milan, OH  44846-0554
#> 419.499.7040
#> www.EdisonInfo.com
#> Gary at EdisonInfo.com
#> --
#> To unsubscribe: mail majordomo at ale.org with "unsubscribe ale"
#> in message body.
#>
#--

Jerry Z. Yu				mailto: z.yu at ptek.com
Systems Engineer			https://punch
PTEK Holdings, Inc.			+1-404-262-8544 (O)