[ale] How Would I

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Mon Aug 7 13:58:27 EDT 2000

Perhaps the parental units (I'm showing my age - MEBST!!) would agree to set
you up with a junker box - a low-end Pentium with 32MB RAM and 1GB of drive?
Many businesses GIVE AWAY computers like that, or you can pick them up from
the likes of Micro Seconds for $150-200.  Maybe your school district has a
pile of such systems.  Providing you avoid KDE and Gnome (well,
Gnome/Enlightenment at least), you can make do with a 486 if you have to and
you might be able to "hot-rod" a 486 into acceptability.

I have a P/200MMX here with 32MB, and running KDE realy HURRRRTS at login
time (swapping on the slower-than-a-laptop's-drive one-platter Quantum
Bigfoot contributes mightily).

Barring that, yeah, get out of the house. ;-)

- Jeff